Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Process of a Process Paper

Have you ever had trouble with writing? Of course you have everyone does! What was it? Coming up with a substantial topic? Or having trouble with supporting details? Whatever it was we all know the writing process can be tricky; moreover, trying to write a paper on a process is extremely rigorous. When I was asked to write a paper on a process I was immotile. I had no idea on a good topic, nor did I know any sort of processes without doing research. Furthermore, trying to write about a process is a process in its self. The task may come easily to most, but personally it’s hard for me. I know I am not the only one who has toiled with what to write about. Therefore, I chose to write about the difficult process of writing. Writing processes are hard due to the fact they require a lot of steps that a lot of people may not understand.

The first step in writing a process paper is coming up with a good topic. That is where I was stuck. The topic needs to be something that has steps. It also needs to be something you know enough about to write it as a process. My first idea for this paper was working out. I love working out and do it all the time. I then realized it was far too vague so I scratched that idea. My second idea was yoga. I narrowed down working out to just yoga. However, that would be more on the descriptive side, and less of a process. Finally I thought of using the writing process as my topic. It started out as a joke, but was such a tedious process I deiced to use it. You also need an assertion for your topic. At first I didn’t even know what an assertion was, but it is what you think the reader should understand about the topic. My assertion defiantly is how difficult the writing process can be, even coming up with a relevant assertion is challenging. After you concluded your topic sentence, and your assertion it’s time to incorporating the two things into a thesis statement.

Second thing you need is a thesis statement. A thesis statement is something that makes your idea clear and states your topic and assertion. For some reason I had a lot of difficulties with this. One sentence that states so much information in such a brief statement that is where all of my topic ideas just disintegrated, and didn’t seem good enough. The thesis statement has a lot of guide lines and rules to make it relevant. Don’t make it an announcement, too broad, or something people can’t argue with. Thesis statements like that are less effective. Next incorporate your thesis statement into supporting details.
Third thing you need for writing a process paper is descriptive supporting details.

Supporting details should go along with your topic and assertion. One big mistake I seem to make is my supporting details go off topic. In a process paper the supporting details are tasks a person must do in order to complete the process. You need to explain why the person must do them; furthermore, you have to tell why it’s important. If I were to use working out as my topic I could have supporting details such as; yoga, stretches, and toning of the musicales. Having a narrowed down topic makes it a lot easier to come up with supporting details. When that is said and done you tie it all up in your conclusion.

The final step is the conclusion; you need to tie your topic and supporting details into one final point. The conclusion is probably the easiest step. You already have all of your information in the previous paragraphs. The conclusion is your last chance to say everything you need. It is where you polish off your paper. It’s best if you refer back to the beginning of your paper and then move on ward to your conclusion. That way you can gather all the necessary information. That is the way I normally come up with a stupendous ending.

The writing process isn’t that hard if you just follow the steps you are versed in. The hardest part is coming up with a pleasing topic. Something that you can write about, and have relevant supporting details for. Writing a thesis statement can be easy if you have a definite topic. Something too broad just makes it troublesome. I personally struggled with this paper due to over analyzing. It seems it came to a descent use, in writing my paper on the difficulties of writing a process paper.

No comments: