Thursday, March 13, 2008

Reader Letter

Dear Reader
A wise but troubled man once said, "The task ahead of us is never as great as the one behind us," Brian Dover from Alcoholics Anonymous.

Where ever my path may lead I have the map I am now making to mark what I have achieved in my schooling. My time line threw school has been hard. I was never given a chance to make myself better that I was told I was. I was dyslexic as a child and pushed in to disability classes just for that. I missed out on a normal education and was pushed to just learning reading skills. The administrator of my elementary school ignored my math and writing courses. That led to poor skills in that subject because I was so behind. That lead to poor spelling and grammar skills threw out the rest of grade school. I am Vanessa Arellano and I am twenty years old. I have had many problems in my years of school due to not applying myself. The quote I started off with describes my path I have completed thus far. What I have coming in my path of school is nothing compared to what I have accomplished. I have come a long way and don’t plan to stop anytime soon. I am the youngest of four and the only one in my family to even graduate high school. My achievements thus far are great but they will only grow.

After being put down so much I just stayed there, and lost my effort to learn. I never applied myself even if I was capable of learning I was told I couldn’t so much that trying just seemed silly. That lead into my life I was scared to play games, let people read what I have written or even spell in front of someone. I hit the bottom in middle school. I didn’t attend class or even try because I didn’t think I was smart enough. Just as I got to that point my dad lost his job and we moved to Washington from sunny California. That changed everything I finally was out of a bad school system and had teachers that cared and made me attend school. My family even started to back me and push for a better education. Scenic then I have tried, I work on my flaws in writing and try to improve myself.

I am now enrolled in my first semester in collage. My English class has helped me so much. It seems now I am like a sponge soaking up every bit of knowledge that is thrown at me. I chose to start at the bottom of everything and work my way up. I want to improve my skills and not feel scared to read or spell in front of people. The following writing samples are things I have completed in my first semester in collage. They are all assignments I was given and writing styles I was versed in; Furthermore, I am extremely proud of all of them. Reader I hope my stories inspires you and my work at lest entertains, Please enjoy your read.


Serenely, Vanessa

3 comments:

Marcus Price said...

This is very well written. It gives a good background on you and your bad, but optimistic experience with writing. Good Job I like it!

Renee H said...

Hey Vanessa, you did a great job writing this letter. As I read it the whole thing gave me a clear understanding of who you are and what you want for your life.

Ryan Schiffman said...

Hey-
I think you have shown alot of improvement over the quarter not just in your e-portfolio but in all your works. Being in your peer group showed how much your really have grown as a stronger writer. I enjoyed reading through your portfolio and especially like your dear reader letter. Good job and keep it up.